A way of living for a witch
Casting Instructions for ‘Witches Rede of Chivalry’
Witches Rede of Chivalry
Magical Rites from the Crystal Well, Ed Fitch and Janine Renee, 1987, Llewellyn Publications.
Insofar as the Craft of the Wise is the most ancient and most honorable creed of humankind. It behooves those who are Witches to act in ways that give respect to the Old Gods, to their brothers and sisters of the Craft, and to themselves.
Therefore, be it noted that:
1. Chivalry is a high code of honor which is of most ancient Pagan origin, and must be lived by all who follow the old ways.
2. It has to be kenned that thoughts and intent put forth on this Middle Earth will wax strong in other worlds outside and return… bringing into creation, on this world, what had been sent forth. Thus one should exercise discipline, for “as
ye plant, so shall ye harvest.”
3. It’s only by preparing our minds to be as Gods that we can ultimately attain godhead.
4. ” This above all… to thine own self be true…”
5. A Witch’s word must have the validity of a signed and witnessed oath. Thus, give thy word sparingly, but adhere to it like iron.
6. Refrain from speaking ill of others, for not all truths of the matter may be known.
7. Pass not unverified words about another, for hearsay is, in large part, a thing of falsehoods.
8. Be thou honest with others, and have them know that honesty is likewise expected of them.
9. The fury of the moment plays folly with the truth; to keep one’s head is a virtue.
10. Contemplate always the consequences of thine acts upon others. Try not to do harm.
11. Diverse covens may well have diverse views of love between members and with others. When a coven, clan, or grove is visited or joined, one should discern softly their practices, and abide thereby.
12. Dignity, a gracious manner, and a good humor are much to be admired.
13. As a Witch, thou has power, and thy powers wax strongly as wisdom increases. Therefore, exercise discretion in the use thereof.
14. Courage and honor endure forever. Their echoes remain when the mountains have crumbled to dust.
15. Pledge friendship and fealty to those who so warrant. Strengthen others of the Brethren and they shall strengthen thee.
16. Thou shalt not reveal the secrets of another Witch or Coven. Others have worked long and hard for them, and cherish them as treasures.
17. Though there may be differences among those of the Old Ways, those who are once-born must see nothing, and must hear nothing.
18. Those who follow the mysteries should be above reproach in the eyes of the world.
19. The laws of the land should be obeyed whenever possible and within reason, for in the main they’ve been chosen with wisdom.
20. Have pride in thyself and seek perfection in body and in mind. For the Lady has said, “How canst thou honor another unless thou give honor to thyself first?”
21. People who seek the Mysteries should consider themselves the pick of the Gods, for it is they would lead the race of humankind to the highest of thrones and beyond the stars.